I have been a mother for exactly 11 days, which by no means makes me an expert on parenthood. But I’ve learned a lot in these last few days, and while I know I still have a lot more to learn, here are some of my reflections on new motherhood about a week and a half into this wild journey:
1) The cliches are true. When I look at baby Brian, all I can think is that he is such a miracle. My husband (Brian Sr.) and I look at each other incredulously and say, “Can you believe we created him!?” Sometimes I just stare at him and start to tear up because I love him so much. Parenthood is a beautiful thing.
2) Parenthood is also difficult. Until 11 days ago, I never truly understood when people would say that it’s the hardest job in the world. I guess it’s different for every parent, but for me, I find the hardest part is worrying about making the right decisions for the baby and our family as a whole.
3) It actually does take a village. I don’t know how we would have gotten through these first few days without my parents and other family members. Between my mom bringing me coffee and a bagel every morning, holding the baby while I showered, helping with baby Brian’s first bath, listening to me when I just need to cry – my dad running around getting last-minute items that Brian Sr. and I needed – and both my parents and my in-laws helping with our dogs – the people around us have been the glue that held us together during these first few days of parenthood.
4) A little encouragement goes a long way. Sometimes I feel like I’m doing everything wrong, and most of the time I feel like a hot mess, so whether it’s someone telling me, “You’re doing a great job,” or my husband randomly telling me, “You look so beautiful right now” (especially when I’m not feeling so beautiful), reassurance and praise really get you through some of those I-have-no-idea-what-I’m-doing and wait-when-is-the-last-time-I-showered moments.
5) I really should never say “never.” Because I once said I’d never use a photo of just my child as my Facebook profile picture… and yet this is the photo currently holds that spot:
But let’s be honest – he is too adorable not to share with the world, right?
What types of things did you learn as a new parent?