Have you ever spray tanned? I’m all about teaching you how to prepare for a spray tan, especially if you’re never done it before. If you know me, you know I love a good spray tan. I refuse to fry in the sun in the summer. I know I have to be outside with the kids, but I’ll have on 50+ SPF and a HUGE hat. The sun is something I just don’t want to mess with… it’s too scary. I started spray tanning about 5 years ago. Just off and on, not routinely. If I needed a little “pick me up,” I would go for a spray tan. I found a local place that has a sugar-based formula, so it’s natural and I like knowing that.
How to Prepare for a Spray Tan
I went yesterday and I just love how it looks! It ALWAYS looks better the next day after you shower, so don’t freak out if you’re looking a little too dark a few hours after your spray. After you do your required 6-8 hour post-shower, you’ll be good! I always start to freak out that I’m going to be too dark, but I’m telling you – it’s always silly to panic. In order to make sure you do get a good spray tan, you want to prepare. There are SO MANY ways in which to prep, I like to keep it easy and short and sweet. It’s a spray tan, not surgery! I’m excited to share how to prepare for a spray tan because it’s something that you should (at the very least) think about before going.
Just so you have a good gauge of my own personal spray tan, here was my Before and After. As you can tell – it definitely worked with a one spray. I always ask for the medium spray. I never go too light or too dark because I’m worried it won’t look good and look unnatural. I also don’t want to pay for something that doesn’t do its job. I’ve made every single mistake you can make when it comes to spray tanning, so I’m really trying to dish here on how to do it the right way! You don’t want to go in not knowing what to do.
Popping into a Spray Tanning Booth is the easy part, but you really need to make sure your skin is prepped and ready before you go on in. Even if you’re going to someone who is spraying you, it’s the before that actually will help you keep your tan the longest. Don’t forget that you are paying for this and you want it to stay as long as possible. You also don’t want it to streak, I swear that’s even worse! The last thing you want is an orange line down your arm!
Here are 5 Things: How to Prepare for a Spray Tan
1. Have clean skin – Don’t wear any makeup into the booth, you want fresh, clean skin! I always wash my face right before I head there. You don’t want to go in with a drop of makeup! I use Olay to get all the makeup off my skin.
2. Exfoliate – It’s important to make sure you’ve exfoliated. Get all dry skin gone! I’ve heard this for years and didn’t think about it when I first went spray tanning, but it’s true and important. If you have any body wash with some soap beads in it, use it before you go! You will be happy that you did!
3. Shave – You don’t want to do this after you spray tan. Make sure your legs and armpits are soft and smooth! Or even if you want to Nair before you head on in. Make sure your legs and all areas of your body are super smooth. You don’t want to share the night after your get sprayed. Your tan will be ruined.
4. Wax – Make sure you wax before, too. I’m all about waxing my eyebrows and chin and lip. Please make sure you book this appointment a few days before your spray tan. Many women have reactions to the waxing, and you don’t want any redness or tenderness to interfere with your spray either. Just be conscious of this before you head in.
5. What to Wear – Make sure you go to the spray tan in loose clothing. If you wear tight clothing your tan is going to suffer. You really want to make sure you know going in what to wear. I’m all about wearing a super loose tee shirt (I’ll borrow my husband’s) and I don’t wear a bra. I wear loose shorts on the bottom and flip flops. If you wear tight clothing the tan will rub right off in the car. I also bring a towel to sit on too when I’m driving home. You will have some residue and it can be yucky. Keep this in mind!
Those are my 5 DO’s to do before heading into the spray booth – or personal spray tanning session. Again, I’m all about teaching and sharing with other women How to Prepare for a Spray Tan. I’ve realized throughout the years that if you do these 5 things, you’re tan actually does last longer. Lets be honest – that’s what we all want, right? Who wants to go spray tanning and then lose it in a day? I know I don’t!
Check out my other posts on spray tanning!
9 Reasons Why I Love to Spray Tan (I know it’s not for everyone, but it’s my happy place!)