I grew up the daughter of an entrepreneur. My father started a little copy shop in our hometown of Barrington, RI back in 1980, the year my younger sister was born. It was a tiny shop with one employee that printed business cards, notepads and invitations. Over the last 35 years, he has grown this “little” company, called Barrington Printing to a 35+ employee operation that specializes in commercial printing. My 2 brothers, sister and sister-in-law also work with my father, too. My father to me is a wonderful story of the American Dream for an entrepreneur. He never gave up. He kept going. He stayed on course and adapted to the changes that were tossed at him in the world and technology throughout the years. He’s my true example of why I always wanted to be an entrepreneur and create my own business destiny.
I started my digital properties as a way to create something from nothing and be a entrepreneur. For me, there’s nothing else I’d rather to. It’s in my blood. It’s in my DNA. It’s my passion.
Entrepreneurs are a different breed. We think differently. We have different challenges. We all have the same goal – to be successful and find some amazing mentors along the way. There’s NOTHING like getting advice, tips and mentorship from a fellow entrepreneur. Oxygen network’s new show, “Quit Your Day Job” is the PERFECT show for entrepreneurs to learn from, to be inspired from, to be motivated from and to be driven to never stop until you reach your goal.
“Quit Your Day Job,” is just an incredible docu-series exploring the exciting world of entrepreneurship through the leadership of tech mogul Randi Zuckerberg, consumer products tycoon Ido Leffler, start-up advocate Sarah Prevette, and master marketer Lauren Maillian. I mean, imagine have these 4 powerhouses to mentor you as an entrepreneur!!??
The eight-episode series features aspiring millennial entrepreneurs who receive the life-changing opportunity to pitch themselves and their innovative ideas to these angel financiers. The investment club will use their business expertise, industry knowledge and creative vision to determine which up-and-coming products have the potential to be the next big thing. I’ve had the opportunity to screen episode #1 and I’m HOOKED!
There are 5 things I loved about watching “Quit Your Day Job” that I feel are the backbone to this show for me:
- There’s compassion from Randi, Ido, Lauren and Sarah. There’s an emotional connection with each entrepreneur on the show. You can really feel that the investors GET the journey each entrepreneur is on. They’ve all been there, done that. It was really nice and comforting to see that the investors really took stock in each entrepreneur and even shed a tear here and there for them. It got me, it made me appreciate that they understand and know that the stakes are ridiculously high for each entrepreneur.
- There’s no beating around the bush with the entrepreneurs. I loved the advice and tips each investor gave the entrepreneurs on the show. They truly want each person to succeed and they gave sound and expert advice to get them to the next level. I loved seeing that true, honest and doable advice was given. The advice wasn’t broad stroke advice, it was streamlined and organized to each individual and I loved that.
- The investors push for hard-core facts and numbers. It was interesting seeing each investor’s ideas about the entrepreneurs they were working with change when they heard data and facts that support why an entrepreneur will be (indeed) successful. It was cool seeing the investors be honest and change their mind when they were given information as to why a certain product WOULD BE the next big thing.
- In all honesty, the investors just really mesh well together on screen. Often times you watch shows and the “cast” doesn’t gel well. These 4 were perfectly cast in this show. You see that they’re friends and colleagues and respect each other. I love watching feel good cast moments and I felt that with this show.
- Finally, if you want to be an entrepreneur and actually go out there and quit your day job, this is the show that will give you the passion to see if you have what it takes with your idea. Being an entrepreneur isn’t for everyone. You really need to put everything on the line for the possibility of success. I really feel that this show gives you an honest look at what goes into being successful and (most important) sustaining that success.
You will get hooked on “Quit Your Day Job.” I’m just warning you now! You will feel that connection to the Investors and to the Entrepreneurs. You will find yourself in the shoes of the Investors and really trying to figure out if this product is (indeed) worth investing in. I had the chance to see Randi, Ido and Lauren up close and personal at an event in NYC for their show on Thursday, March 24th and they were just as kind, gracious and brilliant as I’d hoped they would be. They gave amazing advice and tips to fellow entrepreneurs at the event, but one thing really just kept coming up – you need to put in the work and just not give up.
Make sure you tune into the new series QUIT YOUR DAY JOB which premieres Wed March 30 10/9c on Oxygen! Maybe… just maybe… it will inspire YOU to Quit Your day Job!
This post is sponsored by Oxygen & SheKnows Media