I turned 42 on May 23rd. It’s funny – some people love their birthdays and some people hate their birthdays… I’m that someone who LOVES her birthday more than anything! If I *could* I’ve make the entire month of May time to celebrate. The older I’m getting, the more I’m realizing my special day has become a day my kids get excited about, too. It makes it extra special for me.
This year – 2020 – my birthday was celebrated in quarantine. I never (ever) imagined in a zillion years that my 42nd birthday would be celebrated with face masks, gloves and six feet apart from the ones I love. It was tough because I’m a hugger and I love to hug my family. It’s tough not actually hugging your mom and dad on your very own birthday!
I was determined to make this birthday special… regardless of the quarantine and regardless of the weather (it rained all day!). I wanted the day to be a day I remember and keep in the back of my memory bank. 42 years old… it might not be a milestone birthday, but it was INDEED a birthday to remember!
I wanted to document 42 things about ME in my 42 years. I love looking back on these and I love having my kids read these, too. Last year I wrote 41 things about me on my 41st birthday and it was fun to revisit this year.
1. The older I get, the more and more I realize I love the sun and warm weather. The cold weather is just not my friend.
2. There’s nothing like a super ice cold glass of Pinot Grigio at night.
3. I was very blessed to fall in love at the young age of 20 to this cute guy named Matt McClelland. Not many couples “grew up” together and last and I’m blessed to have this man in my corner and in my heart.
4. I’ve learned that I don’t need to be friends with everyone, but being kind to everyone goes a long way. When I was younger I felt like I needed to like everyone and when I didn’t “connect” with someone, I tried extra hard. So happy to not have to worry about that now.
5. I love a good faux tan.
6. I love blonde highlights… gray is not fit for me (yet).
7. The older I’m getting the more and more and more I appreciate and hold onto the moments I get to spend with my parents.
8. I’ve decided I want (need) a house on the water someday.
9. The beach will always be my favorite place to escape to.
10. Romantic novels are my go-to and they relax me.
11. Watching The Golden Girls is the best therapy of all for me.
12. There’s not a parenting manual that’s going to work for every parent, but I’ll tell you this… I feel lucky to have the 5 kids I have. I’ve done the best I can with my husband and (so far) so good. We’ve got 5 kids that are truly so much fun to be with.
13. I just can’t get myself into video games. I’ve tried. Just not happening.
14. The older I’m getting the more I just want to be around people who make me laugh.
15. I’ve learned that my siblings are my most cherished and loyal people in my life.
16. I’ve learned that you need a good couple of friends who you can be totally and utterly you with… and they love you.
17. Not everything needs to be documented on social media.
18. I’ve learned to never give up on my dreams… as we age, we just need to keep making bigger dreams. Dream are never capped. They change and evolve, but keep dreaming.
19. I’ve learned that date night out with my husband is just as exciting as it was when we were just dating.
20. I need to go to bed with a clean kitchen so I wake up feeling refreshed.
21. I love sharing deals with women, specifically fashion and beauty. Makes me happy to share the love.
22. I’ve learned that my daughter is truly a littlest best friend.
23. I’ve learned I prefer white nail polish year round.
24. I’ve learned that I’d take a trip to Cape over a trip to Miami any day.
25. I’ve learned that I LOVE the tracking app. 🙂
26. I know that not every day will go as planned, but I love a good routine.
27. I prefer Dunkin’ coffee over any kind of coffee.
28. I love when my husband makes dinner. I’ll clean the kitchen after, but cooking… it’s on him and I love that about him.
29. I’ve learned to expect the unexpected and have faith in that.
30. I’ve learned to rely on people more. I know many people see me as someone who is strong and has it together (and I definitely love to have that all under control), but it’s nice to just rely on others once in awhile.
31. I’ve learned that I love staying up late.
32. I love a good bubble bath.
33. I’ve learned I love to do Victoria’s hair more and more. We’re having so much fun coming up with styles.
34. I still prefer the phone over any kind of communication.
35. I have fallen in love with the Peloton app.
36. People aren’t mind readers, you need to tell people what you’re thinking and feeling.
37. I love shopping. It’s true. There’s nothing like a brand new pair of jeans.
38. I’ve learned that being positive is always better than the later.
39. I’ve learned that I need to belly laugh at least once a day!!
40. I’ve learned I need my to do list. I need to have structure, it helps me.
41. I’ve learned that you can always pick up writing again in your life… you never know where it will GO!
42. I’ve learned that whatever I want in life can come true… if I just BELIEVE and have FAITH in the universe!
43. BONUS – I’ve learned and realized that my children are my greatest legacy, accomplishment and achievement. Nothing tops them. Ever.